If your school has provisioned Enriching Students from within Clever, your Enriching Students account can be set to sync to Clever as part of a nightly automated process. Additionally, an admin will be able to perform a manually sync to Clever.
Note: rather than constantly referring to both Clever and ClassLink throughout this document, we are going to mention Clever. Please understand the principles discussed will apply to both Clever and ClassLink unless otherwise stated.
To successfully work with Clever, we need to view Clever as "the source of truth". There are several implications to this:
- You should limit the staff and students that you manually add to Enriching Students. Enriching Students allows you to manually add users. However, if you do so, those users will not be synced with Clever.
- Staff and students will have to be in your Student Management System (SMS). From there, they will move into Clever to then be brought into Enriching Students.
- Some fields can only be modified via Clever. The fields are listed below under Staff and Students
- You will need to notify us that you want to activate the data sync to Clever. This can be done by simply opening a support ticket.
Editable Staff Fields
Once the staff data is imported into Enriching Students, you will be able to edit the following staff fields:
- User Type
- Can View Grades
- Can View Analysis
- Max # Students
- Course Names
- Is Active
Other Staff Fields
These fields that can be modified within Enriching Students. Having said that, when a sync is next done with Clever, any changes you've made will be undone unless they have also been done in Clever:
- first name
- last name
- email address
For existing records in Enriching Students, these are the only three fields that will be modified when a Clever sync is performed. In other words, you can change the department and homeroom in Enriching Students and it will not be modified when a sync is performed with Clever.
If a staffer is missing from the Clever import, they will be marked as a "soft deleted" within Enriching Students. Essentially, we are marking the staffer as inactive. If the staffer appears again in Clever, with the same Clever Id, the staffer will be reactivated.
If you have a staffer in Enriching Students, that shouldn't have access to Enriching Students, don't deleted them. They will simply be recreated when the next sync takes place. Instead, mark them as inactive. This will essentially tell the system this user should be ignored and left deactivated.
Departments in Enriching Students often mean something different than they do in a schools SMS, and therefore, schools will often group staffers differently in Enriching Students than they are in the SMS.
Because of this, when new staffers are imported into Enriching Students, they will be placed into a "holding" department. An admin can thereafter edit the records to place the staff into the appropriate department.
Once the data is imported into Enriching Students, you will be able to edit the following fields:
- Year of Graduation
- Homeroom Staffer
- Is Active
- Can Schedule Self
- Can Override Appointments
As with staff, this fields can be edited in Enriching Students, but will be overridden in the next data sync:
- first name
- last name
- email address
- SIS ID
The same rules apply for the students as for staff. If you want to remove a student that is in Clever from Enriching Students, simply deactivate them. Otherwise, the student record will be recreated in the next sync.
Overall, when it comes to Clever, there are two types of rosters:
- Rosters that come directly from Clever
- Rosters that are created by staffers
- If the roster being imported already exists in Enriching Students, the original roster is left in place.
- If there is a new roster in Clever that isn't in Enriching Students, the new roster is created.
- If there is a roster in Enriching Students, that originally came from Clever, but is no longer in Clever, that roster will be removed during the sync. This does NOT impact rosters that were created from within Enriching Students.
Manually Created Rosters
When a staffer creates a roster from scratch in Enriching Students, that roster is flagged to be ignored during a sync to Clever.
Auto-Scheduling to Advisory
Enriching Students supports the ability to automatically pre-booked students to their advisory on certain weekdays/periods. When using Clever, the auto-scheduling takes place when the rosters are imported.
To set the weekdays & periods to be pre-booked, an admin must go to Settings >Manage School Periods. From there, the user can select one or many weekday / period combinations to pre-book.
How it Works
When initially activated, or during a sync, students are moved to the new advisory.
For example, if a student is assigned to Mr. Jones and is then moved to Ms. Smith in Clever, that student's open, future appointments to Mr. Jones will be adjusted; the student will now be scheduled to see Ms. Smith.
Non-advisory appointments will NOT be modified.
Article is closed for comments.