Enriching Students allows a school to manually import roster data using the Admin Tools.
The process involves the following steps:
- Exporting student data from your Student Management System (SMS)
- Uploading the file using the Admin Tools under Settings > Tools > Import Data
Exporting the Data
Regarding the file that is generated from your SMS:
- It must be a comma separated
- The first line (headers) must read StaffId, StudentId, CourseName
- The headers are NOT case-sensitive, but spaces are not allowed in the names. So, StaffId, not Staff Id
- There should be no comma at the end of the line
The overall format is the same as the original import file used to set up the school. If you have any questions about the file form, please refer to the documentation here.
Note: Because there are a large number of SMS, we are not able to provide any technical support regarding either exporting your data or setting up an automated process for sending the files to us via FTP or SFTP.
The following are key point related to the data file that will be imported:
- All data is validated as described in the original import documentation.
- The data file cannot exceed 1 MB in size
- Any failures will cause the import process to fail.
A couple of important points to keep in mind are:
- Do NOT include homeroom assignments. Homerooms are created when the student data is uploaded. Therefore, if you need to move students to a new homeroom, upload a new student file or edit the student data under Settings > Manage Students
- Even if you choose to overwrite existing rosters, the rosters (or tags) created individually by staff members will not be deleted. Only the rosters that were previously imported will be deleted.
How Do I Upload the File
Go to Settings > Import Data. You will find the option to import Roster Data.
At this point, you need to make the selection to keep or delete existing rosters, based on the data that is in your roster data file.
If your file contains only new rosters, you will leave UNCHECKED the option to "Clear Existing Rosters". The new roster in your data file will be added to your existing rosters.
On the other hand, if your file contains all of the rosters you would like to make available to the staff, you would then choose to "Clear Existing Rosters" as this will prevent the rosters from being duplicated.
You can then select your file by clicking on the "Choose File" button. The file name will be displayed on the page after you have selected it.
Click on "Upload Rosters" and the import will run.
A banner will appear at the top of the page indicating that the roster import is complete.
Invalid Staff or Student Ids
If the file contains invalid staff or student IDs, the import will still finish, ignoring the roster records that contain the bad data.
There is no feedback indicating the number of records that were imported.
Rosters, Import Rosters