Enriching Students allows a school to automatically import roster data; every night if the data changes that frequently. The process involves the following steps:
- Exporting student data from your Student Management System (SMS)
- Posting the files to our server via FTP or SFTP
Exporting the Data
Regarding the file that is generated from your SMS:
- It must be a comma separated
- The first line (headers) must read StaffId, StudentId, CourseName
- The headers are NOT case-sensitive, but spaces are not allowed in the names. So, StaffId, not Staff Id
- There should be no comma at the end of the line
The overall format is the same as the original import file used to set up the school. If you have any questions about the file form, please refer to the documentation here.
Note: Because there are a large number of SMS, we are not able to provide any technical support regarding either exporting your data or setting up an automated process for sending the files to us via FTP or SFTP.
The following are key point related to the data file that will be imported:
- The file name has to match this format: IMPORTKEY-roster.csv. The ImportKey is a value that has been assigned to your school. This can be found by logging on to the site and going to Settings -> Configuration. (Note, you must be an admin to access this portion of the site. If you are not an admin, contact someone in your school who is in order to get this information.)
- The phrase ROSTER (case-insensitive) has to follow the import key and a hyphen. This allows us to understand it's a roster file we're dealing with. If the file name does not follow this format, the file will NOT be imported.
- All data is validated as described in the original import documentation.
- Any errors in importing will cause the import process to fail.
Two import points to keep in mind:
- Do NOT include homeroom assignments. Homerooms are created when the student data is uploaded. If you need to move students to a new homeroom, upload a new student file
- New rosters are appended to the existing list of rosters
- The import process is set to run at 7:00 am ET.
How Do I Upload the File
You will need to set up your FTP process with a valid User Id and password and point to the correct location on our server All of this information can be found by logging on to Enriching Students and going to Settings -> Configuration.
User Id and password are provided upon request