Enriching Students allows a school to automatically import student data; every night if the data changes that frequently. The process involves several steps:
- Exporting student data from your Student Management System (SMS)
- Posting the files to our server via FTP
Exporting the Data
The first step involves exporting the data from your SMS.
The file generated must:
- Be a comma separated file
- The first line must read FirstName, LastName, YearOfGraduation, StaffId, StudentId, StudentEmail, GuidanceCounselor, ParentsEmail, IsActive, DeleteRecord. (Please note, IsActive and DeleteRecord would not have been on your initial import for the school year. These are new fields that will have to be added for the nightly upload.) The headers are NOT case-sensitive. However, there shouldn't be an spaces in the header names. So, FirstName, not First Name. Also, there should be no comma at the end of the line.
The overall format is the same as the original import file used to set up the school. In addition to the fields that are documented here there are two additional fields.
- IsActive - this is a true/false field, used to set a student account to being either Active or Inactive. This can be useful in situations where a student might be leaving the school for several months. Setting their account to inactive will allow prevent them from appearing on any lists.
- DeleteRecord - again, this is a true/false field. When set to true, the students record will be deleted from Enriching Students. All data associated with their account will be removed.
Because there are a large number of SMS, we are not able to provide any technical support regarding either exporting your data or setting up an automated process for sending the files to us via FTP.
During the import, the file is validated in the following ways:
- The file name must be valid. The file name has to match this format:
- IMPORTKEY-student.csv. The ImportKey is a value that has been assigned to your school. This can be found by logging on to the site and going to Settings -> Configuration. (Note, you must be an admin to access this portion of the site. If you are not an admin, contact someone in your school who is in order to get this information.)
- The phrase student has to follow the import key. This allows us to understand it's a student file we're dealing with.
- If the file name does not follow this format, the file will NOT be imported.
- All data is validated as described in the original import documentation. Any failures will cause the import process to fail.
- You are NOT required to provide all students. If you set up a nightly process for exporting only new students from your SMS, this will ensure they are available in Enriching Students the next day.
The import process is set to run at 9:00 PM UTC-8; (West Coast Time in the US.)
How Do I Upload the File
In order to upload the files, you will need to set up your FTP process with a valid User Id and password and point to the correct location on our server All of this information can be found by logging on to Enriching Students and going to Settings -> Configuration.